In 1913 the Rev John Henry Carter Evelegh was appointed rector of Felton and Vicar of Preston Wynne (the adjacent parish to the west). After the First World War ended he set about promoting his love of Shakespeare among local people. Throughout the 1920 and 1930s he produced a different Shakespeare play every year as part of an August Fete which included music dance and drama over a period of two weeks. The last such event took place two weeks before Hitler marched into Poland at the start of the Second World War. Rev Everlegh lived alone in the Rectory throughout that period and retired in 1945.
The actors in the Shakespeare plays were local farmer-workers, inn-keepers, blacksmiths and other artisans. The church was the backdrop to the plays performed in the Rectory garden. So well were they received by enthusiastic audiences, members travelling from afar including one producer from Stratford Upon Avon that the details were written up in the local paper and the Times of London.
Click on the images to enlarge.